Wilshire's Restaurant History
The home of General John Payne is one of the oldest houses in Kentucky. Erected about 1790, it is an excellent example of Kentucky's "stone age" architecture. This 11-room colonial residence was built by Gen. John Payne who was born April 8, 1764, in Fairfax County, Virginia, the only son of William Payne Sr. and his second wife, Ann Jennings.
After settling in Scott County (around 1786), Payne served in the state militia and commanded a company in Scott's campaign against the Indians in 1791. In 1812 he was commissioned a brigadier general in the 2nd Brigade of the Kentucky Militia and commanded the Kentucky Light Dragoons. He participated in several major battles in the War of 1812 including the Battle of the Thames.
General Payne married Miss Betsy Johnson on April 10, 1782. He went on to become a state senator from Scott County from 1830 to 1832. He died at his house on September 9, 1837 and is buried with his wife in the family graveyard that is still maintained to this day within the Canewood subdivision.
SOURCE: A History Of Scott County as Told by Selected Buildings by Ann Bolton Bevins 1981.
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge and view these historic photos.